06 January 2010

I used to be proud of our legal system . . .

. . . back when I believed our leading jurists took the constitution seriously. They just don't any more.

Bush versus Gore woke me up to the sad, inevitable truth that sooner or later justice is reserved for those with the juice, traction, pull . . . whatever you call this game in which the rules apply differently depending on who you happen to be and who you happen to know. This realization - along with morbid fear of confrontation - is now all that keeps me from knocking off the local liquour store. But if you happen to be in Gitmo, you are about as far from that City on a Hill as it gets. Justice is just not a term that applies any longer.

We used to say in America we are a nation of laws and not men, but since 2000 that idea has become just a joke - and our current President, who went to a pretty good law school if I recall correctly (and who has employed Cass Sunstein of all people!), has perpetuated this farce. A lot of progressive types talk about how disappointed in Obama they are. Here is where I am seriously disappointed.

Either I'm turning into my grandfather or things truly are getting worse. Probably a combination of the two.

No comments: