02 August 2009

Been travellin' . . .

. . . and I admit to succumbing to temptation. Lo, to my shame I have bought The Economist. Twice. And I enjoyed it.

On economics, I've never had a problem with The Economist, but their commentary on American politics and culture seemed appallingly ignorant. In the past I attributed this to a craven desire to appeal to a certain readership who coincidentally believe everything they are subjected to on Fox News and the Wall Street Journal editorial pages . . .

In my defence, The Economist have had a new editor for some time now. Perhaps this explains why they have injected a bit more of a measured approach which I find bordering on readable. As I have waxed at length in the past, the previous editor is not on my list of best friends.

Advice and consultation would be welcome: should I feel dirty and foreswear further transgressions, or give in to tempatation and renew my subscription?

No comments: