02 February 2011

Okay, so I don't know much about Egypt


But it seems I know more about the middle east in general than this guy.

Late update: this episode provides instructive insight on the mind that is Blair:

Mubarak: good because he preserved the "cold peace" with Israel. The west should proudly admit its willing engagement with and support of this regime. What Mubarak did to stay in power is not the west's problem. The Muslim Brotherhood might step into the vacuum, and we don't want that. Better to keep it bottled up. Let that rage build (be sure to ignore where Mohammed Atta came from).

Saddam: bad man. Killed his own people (ignore use on Iraqi civilians of U.S.-supplied chemical agents intended for 14-year old Iranian conscripts; ignore the CIA's tacit approval of same; and above all ignore all that stuff I said about launching chemical weapons in 45 minutes).

Blair: am I plain stupid, or just supremely "situational"?

Late, late update: God help me, Caldwell gets it exactly right. The hilarity of the neo-cons' middle east "democracy agenda" comes glaringly into focus. I'll have to look into what the PNAC crowd are saying about Egypt. That'll be a hoot.

No comments: